Objective: To analyze the histopathological findings in postmenopausal women who underwent hysterectomy for postsurgical cervical stenosis, evaluating the incidental findings of preinvasive or invasive uterine and cervical disease. Methods: Retrospective case series of postmenopausal women who underwent hysterectomy for postsurgical cervical stenosis at Gynecological Oncology Unit of Istituto di Ricovero e Cura a Carattere Scientifico Centro di Riferimento Oncologico Aviano-National Cancer Institute from January 2014 to January 2021. Results: During the study period, 36 women underwent hysterectomy for postsurgical cervical stenosis at our institution. Cervical stenosis occurred 10.2 ± 5.6 years from the onset of menopause. In particular, 26 (72.2%) patients underwent a single loop electrosurgical excision procedure or carbon dioxide (CO2)-laser conization before the onset of stenosis. The remaining 10 (27.8%) women had multiple surgical excision before the onset of stenosis. At the final histopathological analysis, 17 (47.2%) patients had a preinvasive or invasive gynecological disease. In particular, 9 cases of cervical disease (including 1 case of endocervical squamous cell carcinoma pT1a) and 6 cases of endometrial hyperplasia emerged. Also, 2 cases of tubo-ovarian diseases were found. Conclusions: Postsurgical cervical stenosis is a challenging clinical condition, especially in women treated for cervical intraepithelial neoplasia or microinvasive cervical cancer. As shown, cervical stenosis can prevent an adequate gynecological follow-up and a prompt diagnosis of malignancies. Therefore, postmenopausal women with cervical stenosis should be carefully counseled, and hysterectomy could be a reasonable option, especially in those cases in which a conservative approach is not feasible, failed, or is not accepted by the patient.

Histopathological findings in hysterectomy for cervical stenosis in postmenopausal women: A retrospective case series

Fichera, Mariasole;Delli Carpini, Giovanni;Ciavattini, Andrea
2022-01-01

Abstract

Objective: To analyze the histopathological findings in postmenopausal women who underwent hysterectomy for postsurgical cervical stenosis, evaluating the incidental findings of preinvasive or invasive uterine and cervical disease. Methods: Retrospective case series of postmenopausal women who underwent hysterectomy for postsurgical cervical stenosis at Gynecological Oncology Unit of Istituto di Ricovero e Cura a Carattere Scientifico Centro di Riferimento Oncologico Aviano-National Cancer Institute from January 2014 to January 2021. Results: During the study period, 36 women underwent hysterectomy for postsurgical cervical stenosis at our institution. Cervical stenosis occurred 10.2 ± 5.6 years from the onset of menopause. In particular, 26 (72.2%) patients underwent a single loop electrosurgical excision procedure or carbon dioxide (CO2)-laser conization before the onset of stenosis. The remaining 10 (27.8%) women had multiple surgical excision before the onset of stenosis. At the final histopathological analysis, 17 (47.2%) patients had a preinvasive or invasive gynecological disease. In particular, 9 cases of cervical disease (including 1 case of endocervical squamous cell carcinoma pT1a) and 6 cases of endometrial hyperplasia emerged. Also, 2 cases of tubo-ovarian diseases were found. Conclusions: Postsurgical cervical stenosis is a challenging clinical condition, especially in women treated for cervical intraepithelial neoplasia or microinvasive cervical cancer. As shown, cervical stenosis can prevent an adequate gynecological follow-up and a prompt diagnosis of malignancies. Therefore, postmenopausal women with cervical stenosis should be carefully counseled, and hysterectomy could be a reasonable option, especially in those cases in which a conservative approach is not feasible, failed, or is not accepted by the patient.
File in questo prodotto:
Non ci sono file associati a questo prodotto.

I documenti in IRIS sono protetti da copyright e tutti i diritti sono riservati, salvo diversa indicazione.

Utilizza questo identificativo per citare o creare un link a questo documento: https://hdl.handle.net/11566/309706
 Attenzione

Attenzione! I dati visualizzati non sono stati sottoposti a validazione da parte dell'ateneo

Citazioni
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.pmc??? 0
  • Scopus ND
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.isi??? 0
social impact