Background/Aims: The annual incidence of pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors (PanNET) has been estimated to be around 0.8/100,000 inhabitants. The aim of this study was to determine the frequency of incidental histological diagnosis of PanNET in pancreatic specimen evaluation for a purpose other other than PanNET diagnosis. Methods: One thousand seventy-four histopathological examinations of pancreatic specimens performed in 3 centers in Italy were retrospectively reviewed. All cases with a main pathological diagnosis of PanNET were excluded. Results: An incidental associated diagnosis of PanNET was made in 41 specimens (4%). Among those 41 cases, 29 (71%) had a largest diameter < 5 mm (microadenoma), whereas the other 12 (29%) had a maximum size .5 mm (median diameter of the whole series = 3 mm, range 1.15). The association with a main diagnosis of intra intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasms (IPMN) was significantly higher for patients who had an incidental PanNET (p = 0.048). There was no association between incidental diagnosis of PanNET and age, gender, BMI, smoking habit, diabetes, and type of operation. Conclusions: The frequency of incidental histological diagnosis of PanNET is considerably high, suggesting that their real prevalence is probably underestimated. The present study suggests a possible correlation between the incidental occurrence of PanNET and IPMN.
Is the Real Prevalence of Pancreatic Neuroendocrine Tumors Underestimated? A Retrospective Study on a Large Series of Pancreatic Specimens / Partelli, S.; Giannone, F.; Schiavo Lena, M.; Muffatti, F.; Andreasi, V.; Crippa, S.; Tamburrino, D.; Zamboni, G.; Rubini, C.; Doglioni, C.; Falconi, M.. - In: NEUROENDOCRINOLOGY. - ISSN 0028-3835. - 109:2(2019), pp. 165-170. [10.1159/000499606]